Community Discussion on Concussion Identification and Prevention Monday at Alhambra High School in MartinezU.S. Congressman
Representing California’s 5th Congressional District
For Release: August 15, 2014
Archived. This is an older press release from 2014 and may not contain the latest information. Please view our current press releases for 2023 items.
WASHINGTON, D.C. – Congressman Mike Thompson (CA-05) will host a community discussion on concussion identification and prevention. The meeting will be on Monday, August 18th at 6 p.m. More than 3.8 million sports and recreation-related concussions occur in the U.S. each year. Concussions and head injuries are happening with greater frequency across all sports. At this meeting, athletes, parents and coaches will have the opportunity to speak with experts about how to recognize a possible concussion, how to prevent serious head injuries, and how to respond to head injuries when they occur.
- Congressman Mike Thompson
- Dr. Jose Yasul, Director of Musculoskeletal and Sports Medicine Education at Contra Costa Regional Medical Center
- Onome Ojo, former NFL player, Super Bowl winner, and UC Davis football player
- Elizabeth Edgerly, Chief Program Officer of the Alzheimer’s Association of Northern California & Northern Nevada
- Alan Hern, Head coach of the Alhamabra High School football team
Monday, August 18th
6:00 p.m. – 7:30 p.m.
Alhambra High School
150 E Street
Congressman Mike Thompson is proud to represent California’s 5th Congressional District, which includes all or part of Contra Costa, Lake, Napa, Solano and Sonoma Counties. He is a senior member of the House Ways and Means Committee and the House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence. Rep. Thompson is also a member of the fiscally conservative Blue Dog Coalition and chairs the bipartisan, bicameral Congressional Wine Caucus.
# # #
- Austin Vevurka
- Office of Congressman Mike Thompson