New Data Show Tobacco, Alcohol and Sugary Drinks Still Being Promoted to Youth
Survey Demonstrates Need to Protect Children from Unhealthy Product Marketing
Monday, March 3, 2014
Archived. This is an older press release from 2014 and may not contain the latest information. Please view our current press releases for 2023 items.
Contra Costa Health Services is collaborating with other local Bay Area health departments and community partners to release statewide, regional and county-level data on the availability and promotion of tobacco, alcohol and food products in community stores—the first time all three have been analyzed together in stores that sell tobacco. The new survey includes findings on:
- Advertising and youth-oriented placement of tobacco, alcohol and sugary drinks in stores
- The number of stores that sell fruit and candy-flavored tobacco near schools
- Availability of E-cigarettes
- Pricing and types of tobacco and alcohol products being sold
Public health officials, tobacco prevention, alcohol prevention and nutrition partners are working to reduce the influence of marketing these unhealthy products to youth, which can lead to obesity, chronic diseases and even death.
Thirteen simultaneous regional news conferences are occurring throughout the state to release the survey findings, which will kick off the Healthy Stores for a Healthy Community statewide campaign. The regional event being held in Martinez will include data from Berkeley and the counties of Alameda, Contra Costa, San Mateo, Santa Clara and Solano.
Data from the survey won't be released until the March 5 press event. This advisory is for planning purposes only.
Wednesday, March 5, 2014 at 10:30 a.m. (10 a.m. media check-in)
Contra Costa Regional Medical Center, 2500 Alhambra Ave., Martinez
- Dr. Wendel Brunner, Director of Contra Costa Public Health, Contra Costa Health Services
- Haven Fearn, Director of Alcohol & Other Drugs Services, Behavioral Health Division, Contra Costa Health Services
- Youth involved in collecting the survey data
- Representatives from other Bay Area health departments and communities
- Sample flavored tobacco and alcohol products
- Photos of tobacco, alcohol and junk food advertising
# # #
- Will Harper, 925-967-8125