Lesher Foundation Pledges Match to Meals on Wheels Donations
For release November 1, 2005
Archived. This is an older press release from 2005 and may not contain the latest information. Please view our current press releases for 2023 items.
Meals on Wheels of Contra Costa Inc. got a big boost to kickoff its annual "holiday appeal" fund-raising drive this month when a local foundation pledged a $30,000 matching grant to the nonprofit organization.
The Dean and Margaret Lesher Foundation has pledged to match contributions by new donors and any previous donors who pledge to increase past year's donations that were between $25 and $200, with a $30,000 maximum donation by the foundation.
"This very generous donation by the Lesher Foundation will enable donors to our program get more bang for their buck," said Paul Kraintz, Director of Contra Costa Health Services' Senior Nutrition Program, a member agency of the nonprofit Meals on Wheels of Contra Costa coalition.
"Normally, for every $2 we raise, we can provide a meal to a homebound senior," he added. "This grant means that, for every $1 contributed by new or qualified donors, they're buying someone a meal."
Meals on Wheels of Contra Costa is a certified nonprofit coalition of public and private organizations that provide Meals on Wheels services to homebound elders in Contra Costa County. Homebound seniors age 60 and older are eligible for the countywide Meals on Wheels Program. Meals on Wheels volunteers deliver 270,000 meals to these homebound seniors every year.
Kraintz said that the "holiday appeal" for donations will include direct mail to 49,000 Contra Costa households during the pledge period of November, December and January. He said 58% of the funding for Meals on Wheels in Contra Costa County comes from voluntary donations, with the other 42% coming from government sources.
"We support homebound elders to maintain their health and dignity, and to live independently in the comfort and security of their own homes," said Kraintz, quoting the organization's mission statement. "Our primary service population is senior citizens aged 85 and older."
People can make donations or request meals online at http://mealsonwheelsofcontracosta.org/ Information about the program is available at that website or by calling 1-866-669-6697.
# # #
- Paul Kraintz