skip to content, health centers and clinics, search, accessibility statement

Care Services for People with HIV and Their Families

Contra Costa County provides services for people with HIV to increase access to medical care and to help people to stay as healthy and as independent as possible. The core of our system revolves around medical case management services that provide service coordination to clients living with HIV based on their level of health.

Our network consists of medical and nurse case management services that operate at homes and clinics throughout the community. Referrals into the medical case management program can be made by clinical providers, self-referrals or referrals from other network supports.

When enrolled, a consumer of services will be eligible to access medical case management; education and prevention services; assistance with partner notification; medication adherence support; AIDS Drug Assistance Program (ADAP); other community resources. Home-based services are also available for those who are severely ill or who are homebound.

The HIV/AIDS & STD Program Medical Social Worker of the day serves as a centralized source of information and referral for people living with HIV in Contra Costa County. If you or someone you know is HIV+ and interested in finding out more about services in our county, call 925-608-5384 during regular business hours (8am-5pm) for more information.

Anyone who does not have private insurance can call Contra Costa Health Services' advice nurse line at 1-877-661-6230, option 1 for free health advice any time 24 hours a day / 7 days a week including holidays.

In addition, if you have no health coverage, contact the Medical Case Management Social Worker of the Day at 925-608-5384 to discuss your options.

Patients with private insurance should call their plans' advice nurse lines.

Medical Social Work Case Management Program

Medical Social Workers assist people living with HIV by addressing their most immediate needs and providing support when a person's health status does not require the services of a nurse case manager. Medical Social Workers work closely with physicians and other providers to encourage a client's adherence to their individualized medical treatment plan.

Our team's Public Health Nurses and Medical Social Workers provide clinic-based services at the West County Health Center, Pittsburg Health Center, Brentwood Health Center, and Contra Costa Regional Medical Center.

Services that our team can assist a client with accessing include:

  • Connecting with Medical Providers,
  • Substance Use and/or Behavioral Health Coordination,
  • Housing Assistance,
  • Food Assistance,
  • Medical Transportation,
  • Home- Based Health Care,
  • Emergency Assistance,
  • Education Support Groups,
  • AIDS Drug Assistance Program (ADAP),
  • Linkages to HIV Prevention Services.

Contact the Medical Social Worker of the day at 925-608-5384 for more information on the Medical Case Management Program.

Nurse Case Management

A Public Health Nurse and a Medical Social Worker work as a team to provide case management services to people with severely disabling HIV or AIDS. Our goal is to assist clients in remaining independent and at home as long as is safely possible. The team coordinates services including medical care, treatment adherence, attendant care, nutritional care and counseling, mental health, and substance abuse.

AIDS Drug Assistance Program (ADAP)

This State funded program supports clients by paying for HIV related medications. In order to be eligible for ADAP, a person must be:

  • HIV Positive,
  • A resident of California over the age of 18,
  • Have limited or no prescription benefits,
  • Meet financial eligibility requirements.

For assistance and to see if you qualify, call 925-608-5384.

OA-Health Insurance Premium Payment (OA-HIPP)

OA-HIPP is a State program that pays the monthly health insurance premiums for eligible California residents with an HIV/AIDS diagnosis. This program is available to individuals with who are at risk for losing their health insurance and/or individuals who currently do not have health insurance and would like to purchase insurance. Clients who are enrolled in OA-HIPP are eligible to remain in the program for an unlimited amount of time so long as they meet the eligibility criterion listed below.

If an individual is undocumented, and cannot secure medical insurance independently, OA-HIPP can assist with access to a California Department of Public Health Off-Exchange Medical Insurance Program.


To be eligible for the OA-HIPP program, you must:

  • Be enrolled in ADAP.
  • Have an HIV/AIDS diagnosis.
  • Be a California resident.
  • Be at least 18 years old.
  • Have an adjusted gross income below 500% Federal Poverty Limit.
  • NOT be enrolled in Medicare or Full-Scope (Free) Medi-Cal.
  • Have (or plan to get) a comprehensive health insurance plan with prescription drug benefits.

Medical Social Workers can help you with the application process and submit the completed application to Office of AIDS (OA) on your behalf. Please contact the Medical Social Worker of the Day at 925-608-5384.

Early Intervention Services

The goal of the Early Intervention Services (EIS) program is to keep individuals living with HIV healthier, longer. Health Education Staff offer information and support to assist clients in reducing their risk of transmitting HIV to sexual partners and avoid contracting other sexually transmitted diseases while remaining confident in their health.

Physicians who are knowledgeable in the latest HIV treatment guidelines provide specialty appointments at the Positive Health Clinics. Medical Social Workers, Outreach Workers, and Nurses work as a team to support patients in making and keeping appointments, understanding their medications, and accessing necessary clinical services.

These services and clinics are located at Contra Costa Regional Medical Center in Martinez, West County Health Center in Richmond, Pittsburg Health Center and Brentwood Health Center.

Additional services include

  • Information and Education around Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis (PrEP)
    • PrEP is a once daily pill (prescription only) taken by an HIV negative individual that reduces their risk of HIV infection. Taken correctly, the PrEP medication, called Truvada, is very effective at preventing HIV.
  • Enrollment into the PrEP Drug Assistance Program (PrEP-AP)
    • An assistance program for qualified individuals to receive financial assistance in paying insurance premiums for PrEP.
  • Free Condoms and Lubricant to support risk reduction for HIV and other STDs.

Contact 925-608-5384 and ask to speak to the Medical Social Worker of the Day to learn more about these services.

Outreach and Linkage to Care

Outreach services are provided to people living with HIV who have never been connected to medical care, have fallen out of medical and/or clinical care or who are newly diagnosed with HIV. Outreach activities include home visits, phone calls, case conferencing with medical providers and connecting with other network members. The goal of Outreach Services is to locate and help clients engage in comprehensive medical and case management services.

This service is provided with the overall aim of improving health outcomes for disproportionately affected populations such as communities of color, transgender clients, pregnant women, and individuals who struggle with substance use, mental health issues, and/or homelessness.

Outreach referrals are initiated for clients who have missed medical appointments, have missed lab work or screening tests, whom have unsuppressed viral loads or poor CD4 blood cell response to antiretroviral therapy, or who may need medication adherence support.

For questions, call Anuja Chand at 925-313-6783.

Partner Counseling & Referral Services (PCRS)

PCRS is a service that helps people who are living with HIV or AIDS talk to their partners (current or past) who may have been exposed to HIV. PCRS is a free, voluntary, and confidential service. Anonymous partner notification services are available.

Call the HIV/AIDS & STD program at 925-608-5384 or toll-free at 1-800-287-0200 for more information about this service.

If You You Need Something More Specific:

  • When to Call 9-1-1
    For any life-threatening medical or psychiatric emergencies, call 9-1-1 immediately.
  • When to Call an Advice Nurse
    Advice nurses can help you figure out if you need to go to an Emergency Room, visit an urgent care clinic or make an appointment for the next day. Advice nurses also can provide information for self-care. You should consider calling an advice nurse for more minor issues like sore throat, earache, urinary tract infection, sinus infection symptoms, and other non-life-threatening conditions.
  • When to go to Urgent Care
    An urgent care clinic offers immediate care for walk-ins or same day appointments for patients who need timely medical care but who are not having a medical emergency.