As the county's primary safety-net organization, equity and the elimination of health disparities are the foundational principles that guide our work.
Contra Costa Health is committed to equity not only in its work in the community, but also in the workplace.
The Equity Team has led an extensive process to evaluate the department's internal equity practices, which included a staff survey, more than a dozen listening sessions and focus groups. This process, done with the assistance of The Justice Collective, has produced an in-depth equity assessment report and the department's equity roadmap for 2023 and beyond.
DEI Focus Areas and Desired Outcomes
CCH focused on internal-facing opportunities for equity and centered the DEI plan around the following three priority Focus Areas and identified one or two desired outcomes for each Focus Area:
- DEI INVESTMENT:
- a. Sustained and committed funding and resources for DEI-centered leadership and culture.
- TALENT SOURCING, PERFORMANCE, & SUPPORT:
- a. Transparent + clear recruitment and hiring at all levels of the organization.
- b. Professional, equitable and sustainable retention, promotion, supervisory practices, and professional development that ensures equal employment opportunities are afforded to all.
- WELCOMENESS & INCLUSION:
- a. Culture of safety (physical and psychological) is created and upheld.
- b. Equitable and fair access to participate in training opportunities.
The Equity Team is currently creating a detailed plan to implement diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) goals identified in the equity roadmap. The implementation plan will have specific action steps, metrics and a timeline.
- Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion Roadmap Report (Summer 2023)
- CCH Staff Equity Survey Report (Sept. 2022)
- Equity Assessment Report (June 2022)
- Listening Sessions Overview (June 2022)
- Contra Costa County Declares Racism a Public Health Crisis (November 2020)
1220 Morello Ave, Martinez, CA 94553