The Plan Review team ensures that all construction or remodeling of food and recreational health facilities (including swimming pools, spas, spray parks and water parks) conform with health, safety and sanitation requirements.
Here is a sample of the kinds of projects that require Plan Review:
- New construction of a food facility or recreational health facility
- Remodeling of a food facility or recreational health facility
- Replacement or installation of hood or equipment
- Replacement or installation of floors/walls/ceilings
- Modifications to sumps, plumbing or equipment in swimming pool/spa facilities
If you aren't sure if you need to submit plans, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 925-608-5500.
- Retail Food Construction/Remodel Application | Checklist
- Pool/Spa Construction/Remodel Application
- Check your plan review status online. (New plan submittal packets will be available as downloads from the website. Contact us for multiple packets)
- Retail food and public pool and spa plan review will only require 1 set of plans initially. 4 sets will be required for final approval.
- A Plan reviewer is available Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday from 7:30 a.m. to 9 a.m. No Appointment necessary, first come, first served.
- Additional consultation appointments may be made at the hourly rate.
- Only complete "Incidental" food facility plans may be approved over the counter by the desk duty plan reviewer.
- Translation services for plan review questions available by appointment
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Detailed contact information for members of the plan review staff.
Please see the Plan Review Fees.Contra Costa County Environmental Health is responsible for ensuring that all construction or remodeling of food and recreational health facilities conform to the requirements stated in the California Health and Safety Code.
Plan Review Documents
Checklists, guidelines, specifications.
- Construction/Remodel Application | Checklist
- Construction Guide for Food Facilities
- Floor Materials For Retail Food Facilities
- Walls and Ceilings Conduit Piping Areas of Multiple Uses
- Sinks & Dishmachines, Indirect Waste Drainage and Waste Disposal
- Shelving & Storage
- Restrooms, Employee Change & Storage Areas
- Mechanical Ventilation for Cooking Equipment, Hood Plans, Hood Worksheet
- Equipment General Requirements
- Doors, Windows, Lighting & Signs, Enclosed Facility & Vermin Exclusion
- Customer Self-Serve Equipment
- Janitorial Facilities, Backflow Prevention, Hot Water Supply
Swimming Pools and Spas
- Construction/Remodel Application
- Pool Data Sheet
- Construction Guide for Swimming Pools and Spas
- Pool and Spa Plan Check Submittal Checklist
- Remodel Checklist for AB1020 Review
- Anti-Entrapment Devices and Systems Form
- Handholds/Coping Requirements
- Pool Enclosure Requirements
- Pool Lighting
- Pool/Spa, Wading Pool Replastering or Resurfacing Requirements
- Pool Steps, Recessed Steps, Ladders, Stairs, and Hand Rails Requirements
Display of these files require's Google Sketchup. [ download Sketchup ]
- Department of Conservation & Development (DCD)
- Building Inspection Division
- Bay Area Air Quality Management District Charbroiler Compliance Advisory
- Regulation 6: Commercial Cooking Equipment
- NSF Product and Service Listings
- Contra Costa County Cities
- Contra Costa Central Sanitary District
- Delta Diablo Sanitation District
- Ironhouse Sanitary District
- Mt. View Sanitary District
- Rodeo Sanitary District
- Stege Sanitary District
- CCDEH CalCode Information